In July 2018, the United States imposed tariffs on Chinese imports under the trade act, named the Section 301 Tariffs. However, opportunities exist to be granted both product exclusions and receive tariff refunds, and smart businesses are taking advantage of these opportunities.
Managing the process for claiming refunds can be challenging, but Raistone is here to help. We have specific experience securing these refunds for our clients, and extensive knowledge about the process and protocols. Our team can help accelerate payment by purchasing your refund today and getting you the funds you need to grow your business.
Learn if you’re eligible and discover how your business can receive a refund for the tariffs you paid on imported products.
Did You Pay Tariffs on an Excluded Product?
If your company has imported any products from China, it’s worth checking to see if any of those products are on recently updated exclusion lists. If so, you can begin the process of applying for a refund. You may be retroactively owed a refund from the date of the exclusion. There are three main lists of tariff exclusions:
- List 1 includes $34 billion in goods with an additional tariff of 25%. The exclusion period for each list lasts one year. For example, the exclusions listed on September 20, 2019 last until September, 2020You can receive a refund on tariffs paid retroactive to July 6, 2018.
- List 2 outlines $16 billion in Chinese imports subject to additional tariffs of 25%. All exclusions from list 2 are retroactive to August 23, 2018.
- List 3 details an additional $200 billion in Chinese goods tariffed at 25%. All exclusions apply retroactively to September 24, 2018.
These three are the most updated lists of exclusions, but it is also important to remember that individual businesses have the right to request that an individual product be excluded from tariffs. The USTR will review requests continuously and may periodically update lists and release new ones.
How Can Your Business Claim Refunds From Section 301 Tariff Exclusions?
If your business paid tariffs on any items listed on Lists 1 through 3 above, you may be able to collect refunds on any tariffs assessed. U.S. Customs and Border Protection issued guidelines in 2019 outlining how businesses can start the process of obtaining refunds from Section 301 duties. The guidelines offer explicit instructions for submitting refund claims for duties paid on Section 301 items from China, which were subsequently excluded.
If you’re a business who paid any tariffs on products imported from China in 2018 and 2019, there are a few things you can do right now:
- Check all exclusion lists frequently to see if any of the products your business imports from China are covered.
- Continuously monitor all exclusion announcements, including a yet-to-be announced List 4, which may make you eligible for additional refunds.
- Begin the process of applying for refunds for tariffs you have already paid. Be sure to follow the guidelines listed by the U.S. Customs and Border Control. In general, a business can apply for a refund by submitting what’s called a post summary correction. In some cases, filing a protest for liquidation may be necessary. This may apply when the period for the final tariff assessment is over and all entries have been finalized.
Getting Started with Your Section 301 Refund
Like all other federal processes, your Section 301 tariff refund will involve following complex procedures through multiple federal departments. Even then, it may take some time, up to a year, to receive a refund for tariffs paid on eligible products. If you have paid tariffs on Chinese products eligible for exclusion from Section 301 tariffs and want to expedite the process of receiving payment of your refund, Raistone can help. Ask us about our Accelerated Tariff Refund Program. We take the guesswork out of your refund. Our Accelerated Tariff Refund program enables you to quickly receive your money owed.
Not only can we accelerate access to your funds, but if you still need to apply for your refund, our team of experts will guide you through the process, relieving you of the administrative burden.
You can make better use of your refund dollars than waiting a year or more for your refund to be paid. For more information, please contact us. Raistone is committed to helping your business find flexible solutions that improve your business cash flow.